Biggerstaff Family Malloy's Study

lucius_malloy posted on May 21, 2011 at 06:39AM
Oh, great God in Heaven, you think as you come to yet another door in the seemingly never-ending hallways of the Biggerstaff Family Estate. Another one? You're well prepared to merely glance in and keep going, like you've done at the previous doors, but something about this one catches your attention. You're not quite sure what it is... It could be the huge, foreign flag tacked diagonally across the top of the door, with words in another language stuck all around it. You can't read this language, but one of the notes says Ihanaa, Leijonat, ihanaa! and another looks like a verse from a song. It starts Oi maamme Suomi, synnyinmaa! Soi sana kultainen.. Under the flag, a blue cross on a white background, is a sign that says Please, in the name of all that is magical, knock before you enter. Another sign right below it says Malloy's study -- genius at work. Someone, you have a strong suspicion who, has drawn air quotes around the word 'genius'. The few parts of the door that aren't covered in flag or signs are invisible under the movie and concert tickets, friendship bracelets, origami shuriken and other various memorabilia.
Carefully, you knock on the door, not wanting to disturb the 'genius' within. You hear a mutter that could be interpreted both ways, but you decide it's affirmative and push the door open.
The room is... chaotic. There's no other word for it. The walls are blue, and covered in Ravenclaw crests, more of the blue cross flags, posters of bands and cities and, perhaps most randomly, underwater photos. Wherever you look, there's a surprised grouper gaping at you, or an angelfish showing off it's stripes, or a clown fish trying its very best to hide in the swaying fronds of an anemone.
The floor, however, is another story. Books, papers, clothes and empty Pepsi bottles are all strewn around in no particular order. There isn't too much furniture in the room, just a desk with its very comfortable black chair, a Fatboy bean bag chair in front of a small flat screen TV and a bookshelf. The TV is sitting on a small cupboard, and if you were to open that cupboard you would find a PlayStation3 with a large collection of SingStar games, and a whole bunch of TV-series box sets, including Bones 1-5, House 1-4, most of Friends and Grey's Anatomy 1-2 with a PostIt note saying "Buy GA3!".
The desk in itself is pretty simple: dark mahogany, with drawers on one side and a cupboard on the other. In the middle is a laptop computer, open and displaying an OpenOffice document that seems to be w rewrite of Hamlet. "Hamlet Revisited: Modernised, Edited and Abridged by yours truly", drawls a voice to your side and you jump; you'd almost forgotten that the inhabitant of the room was still there. You turn to face the black chair, to see a girl of about fifteen, with brown glasses and nondescript blondish hair. She's wearing khaki trousers and a large hoodie with the sleeves pushed up. You can't quite see the logo on the hoodie, but it looks like it has the letters CISV. Her arms are covered in Sharpie, the most prominent being the huge I ♥ BIGGERSTAFFS stretching over her left forearm. She looks up at you. "Hamlet Revisited," she repeats. "My English teacher wanted me to try it." You nod uncertainly, and she turns back to the screen, fingers hammering away.
Next to the laptop on the desk is something that looks very much like a round, pink, plastic pig. You do a double-take, and realise that there's a cord coming out of the pig and ending in an iPod. That's when the music playing in the room finally registers (at this very moment, the song is one you don't recognise, but it sounds suspiciously like a heavier version of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme) and you realise that this pig must be a speaker.
Then, of course, there's the bookshelf. It's huge, reaches all the way up to the roof and covers one entire wall. It has one of those sliding ladder things you've seen in movies and large libraries but never even hoped you'd touch. Warily, you pull it to one side, climb aboard and push off. The sensation is like nothing you'd imagined -- nothing quite comes close to riding ladders.
Behind you, there's a snort. You turn to see the girl (you assume her to be Malloy) staring at you. "All right," she says. "I was going to be nice. I was going to wait for you to get bored and leave. But this is my freaking study! This is where I come to write or relax! You can't just barge in and start riding my ladder!" You stare. She shakes her head slowly. "I'm sorry. I didn't meant to yell at you... it's the stress. It's getting to me. Can we start over? Hi, I'm Malloy, but you can call me Emma or Emmy. This is my study, my den, my... kingdom."

Biggerstaff Family 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago lucius_malloy said…
okay, long room description is wrong. but it's worth the read, I promise :3
I know I technically already haz a room, but that one has no description and I wanted to write one :D and technically it's not my room, it's my and moo's room.
but anywho, this room is where I'll post stuff I write, hopefully. and, you know, just hang out.
here's scene one from Hamlet revisited, by the way ;)

1. The Ghost
Ghost, Horatio, Marcellus, Barnardo

Enter Barnardo.

Enter Horatio and Marcellus.

BARNARDO
Who goes there?

HORATIO
Friends of this country.

MARCELLUS
And servants of the Danish king.

BARNARDO
Very well. Good night, you both.

MARCELLUS
Good night. Tell me, have you seen that thing again tonight? You know, the thing?

BARNARDO
No, no things. Not even a mouse.

MARCELLUS
Damn shame, that; Horatio thinks we're imagining it and absolutely refuses to believe it, never mind how many times I tell him we've seen it twice now. That's actually why he's here today – er, tonight – so that if the thing comes again he could see it, maybe speak to it.

HORATIO
Laughs. Operative word being if – it's not coming, Marcellus. Your ghost – yes, ghost, not thing – is not coming, because it does not exist.

BARNARDO
Oh, hush. Sit down, shut up and listen; I'll tell the story once more as we wait for it to appear.

HORATIO
<i>Sits down
. Fine, fine. Go ahead.

BARNARDO
Last night, when that star there (points) was just about there where it is now... it was around one, I think. Yes. Well, anyway, Marcellus and I –

Enter Ghost.

MARCELLUS
Shush, man! Look, there it is.

BARNARDO
Indeed, indeed. And if I may say so, it looks just like the King, may he rest in peace.

MARCELLUS
(To Horatio) Hey, Horatio, you're a smart guy – say something to it.

BARNARDO
Yeah, Horatio. Doesn't he look like the King, though?

HORATIO
Yes, Barnardo, he looks like the King. We know. It's quite unnerving, really.

BARNARDO
Er, I think it wants us to speak to it...

MARCELLUS
Go on, Horatio. Ask it something.

HORATIO
What do you think you are? Walking around so late at night, looking like the dead king of Denmark ready to go to war? For God's sake, speak.

GHOST
(is offended)

MARCELLUS
It looks like you've offended it.

BARNARDO
Look, it's fleeing.

HORATIO
Stay! Come on, stay and speak to me! I, er, order you!

Exit Ghost

MARCELLUS
Ah, it's gone. You won't be getting any answers tonight.

BARNARDO
You okay, Horatio? You're pale... and hey, are you trembling? Well, at least you can agree we're not imagining this, eh?

HORATIO
Seeing is believing... My God.

MARCELLUS
It looks like the King, right?

HORATIO
For gosh sakes, Marcellus, yes it does. Have I not admitted that already? But it was wearing the exact same armour as the King wore when he fought the king of Norway. And frowned like the King used to. It's all very peculiar.

MARCELLUS
It's happened twice before already, exactly like this, him stalking past us like a proud warrior.

HORATIO
Don't ask me why, but, gentlemen, I fear this means bad news for Denmark.

MARCELLUS
Speaking of which – can someone tell me what's going on? Why there's such a strict guard schedule? Why we're making so many cannons?

HORATIO
To be honest, I'm not quite sure. But the rumours say that king Hamlet the senior, may he rest in peace, defeated Fortinbras of Norway, and now Fortinbras junior wants revenge. Oh, and there was something about surrendering lives and areas and whatnot.

BARNARDO
Sounds about right – and that would explain why the King is haunting us now. He did, after all, cause all this...

HORATIO
Yes, the ghost is definitely a cause for concern. The say that in Ancient Rome, just before the betrayal of Julius Caesar, corpses rose out of graves and ran amok in the streets, not to mention all the other stuff that happened. Yes, indeed; ghosts never bode well.

Enter Ghost.

HORATIO
Wait, what's this? It came back. I'll speak to it, and I will get answers, if it's the last thing I do. Ghost spreads his arms. If you have a tongue in your mouth, hallucination, speak to me now or forever hold your peace. If there's anything I can do to finally put you to rest once and for all, if you have some secret, inside info about the fate of Denmark, please speak. Please. I'm begging you. See this? This is me begging you. Speak!

Rooster crows.

HORATIO
Marcellus, don't let it leave.

BARNARDO
Can I hit it with my spear?

HORATIO
By all means, if it doesn't stay put.

BARNARDO
Hey, it's over here.

HORATIO
No, here!

Exit Ghost.

MARCELLUS
… And it's gone. We shouldn't have threatened it, methinks, since it looks like the King and all. And anyway, it's not like it would've done any good – it's a freaking ghost, people.

BARNARDO
I think it was going to say something, until the rooster crowed. Glares at rooster.

HORATIO
Yeah, and then it looked... guilty, like a crook caught red-handed. I think I read somewhere that roosters awake the 'Gods of Day' (air quotes) with their incessant crowing, and all wondering ghosts must hurry back to their hidey-holes. Yet another thing I wouldn't have believed had I not seen it just now.

MARCELLUS
Indeed, it did disappear right after the rooster crowed. You know, some people say that roosters make more noise than usual on the day before Christmas, so the holiday would be peaceful.

HORATIO
Yeah, so I've heard – and in a way, I kind of believe it. Kind of. But hey – dawn is breaking. Let's go tell Hamlet junior, shall we?

MARCELLUS
After you, Horatio.

Exit Horatio, Marcellus and Barnardo.
over a year ago GemonkDruid said…
WHY YOU NEED TWO ROOMS?

ONE TO STUDY AND ONE TO DO UNSPEAKABLE THINGS WITH DADDY?
OBVIOUSLY ;)
my version of the to be or not to be soliloquy :D

To be, or not to be? That is the question. Is it nobler, better, to put up with the crap hand luck deals you, or to fight all these troubles with one stone and just end it all? Dying... just a sleep that ends all the heartaches, all the grievances that life gives us. An end to aim for, surely. To sleep, perchance to dream. But that's just it: who knows what kind of dreams follow life? Something to worry about. Something that makes us put off the inevitable, put off the end until it's too late, and the situation is no longer in our control. Because really, who would willignly take the abuse we do if there was an easy way out? But nothing about death is easy, since it's the unknown we fear the most. Our fear makes us cowards, mand boldness weakens as we ovethink everything. But shh, here comes the beautiful Ophelia.
over a year ago GemonkDruid said…
Lol won't you get marked down for putting crap in it?
nope :D this isn't an assignment exactly, so it doesn't really matter :P