Fanpop Etiquette Same Info/Different Spots?

Katreader posted on Dec 07, 2008 at 04:41PM
There are many spots that overlap information. Is it OK to add the same content to more than one spot? For example, I was going to post some pictures of my plush animals to the stuffed animals spot, however, I discovered the Build-a-Bear spot and since they were Build-A-Bear animals I decided to add them there. However, after several days they haven't even been viewed, let alone rated, and my link lies unrated as well. Should I just add the content to the other spot? Generally, I'd add to a spot that was most closely related (who wants the same content on 5 spots relating to the same thing...or do people want that?) but the site seems to be small and, more relevant, not active.

Fanpop Etiquette 3 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago germany123 said…
thats a tough one...:D
i think the "prop 8 musical" has been added to tons of spots since its full of celebrities...and then its all aboot gay rights, debate,politics etc

and its not miscategorized in any of them...

i think its fair game if the spot is dead...you could always move the stuff if its not too much.
delete the content and add it somewhere else...or link it to a related spot (post a link or forum on the stuffed animals spot)
generally i am understanding if people explain WHY they post stuff twice, link it etc
over a year ago Katreader said…
Thanks. I'll wait a few more days, but in future I think I'll post more Build-A Bear pics to the stuffed animals spot.
over a year ago harold said…
If the same information really is valid to multiple clubs, then it's fine to post them in multiple places.

A related note, though: posting to another club just because more people will see it/respond to it is never a valid reason to do so in itself. This does not describe your specific stuffed animal situation, but I've seen others make the argument many times that "my content belongs in this popular club because more people will see it there", which is just wrong. If content is not categorized correctly, the whole purpose of the site is lost. Each club was created by someone with a passion for that subject. They'll get to it eventually. One needs to be patient, particularly if there are not a lot of fans.

In my mind, it's much better to have content categorized correctly than to have miscategorized content, regardless of how many people view it.