VRSOF What to do, what to do...

misanthrope86 posted on Mar 12, 2008 at 09:54PM
Despite the efforts of the members of this fine, diligent and hard-working squad, there remains much content in desperate need of rating. Yesterday I went through a number spot that contained content that had been there for months, viewed multiple times (and sometimes commented on), but not rated! It brought a tear to my eye...

Many frustrated people have written articles on the subject of rating. I recently posted a forum topic in a spot that I have contributed a lot to (including rating other people' contributions), asking why people view the content but then neglect to rate it. So far, no replies, but, ironically, a number of views.

So, I was thinking that perhaps we need some sort of initiative or event to bring rating into the Fanpop spotlight. I'm not sure what that would entail, or even if it is a good idea.
Any thoughts?

VRSOF 22 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago Saul_Mikoliunas said…
I personally think they should blackmail people. For example, you must rate at least 100 things every month of your account will be suspended forever.
Aside from that stupid and sarcastic one I have no idea.
However when I first joined fanpop I didn't rate anything and I guess I just didn't think rating was important so you could maybe get an message about the importance of rating when you first join?
Maybe they already do that. I don't know, I can't remember!
over a year ago misanthrope86 said…
Ha ha ha! I like stupid and sarcastic ideas!

The thing that annoys me is that there is a lot of information about what Fanpop is, so it is well publicised that people can rate anything that is posted, yet people just don't do it! I still haven't had any replies to my forum post in another spot, so still don't know WHY people don't rate things!

Lets go with your blackmail idea.
Muhahaha! *rubs hands together in an evil manner*
over a year ago DarkSarcasm said…
Blackmail is good... ;)
That's three votes for blakmail then =D
over a year ago hooch-is-crazy said…
make it four.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Rating should be part of the equation to earn medals.

so yeah. Blackmail works ;>
over a year ago _lina_ said…
Ooo, blackmail. Fun :)
over a year ago maybeastarbucks said…
I definitely agree with DrD. I believe I actually suggested that in the "Suggestions and Ideas" forum months ago, but I'm not sure.
Wow. 7 people agree with me. I feel......odd. Normally people just point and laugh. Then inquire as to why I am not in a mental institution.
over a year ago _lina_ said…
Dr.Devience's idea is good, but it may backfire in that people would just rate everything without watching/looking at it first, just so they could get a medal.
That is true _lina_.

Its so hard to think of ways to get people to rate stuff. Telling people about it hasn't made a difference!
over a year ago knifewrench said…
I think we should get a separate medal for ratings, but as _Lina_ said, people are then given the ability to cheat. Although we could do what Youtube does, which is limit the amount of times you can rate in a certain period of time, but that would suck donkey balls.
Well, the spot that I was talking about that I posted a rating forum topic, still has no reply after 20 days and 15 views. This spot has 334 fans! There are images in this spot more than 100 (and in some cases more than 200) views and they have only been rated once or twice (or in the case of my contributions, not at all!).

*SIGH*
over a year ago ineedcoffee said…
sorry I just never thought to look at images here simply because I didn't think there would be images on a rating spot, my bad sorry I will check that out now...:)
ok I am confused what are you talking about? this site doesn't have images i just checked, the ones that are here I haalready rated and all total it was 5 images.
Oh, I posted a forum in a different spot asking why people don't rate. I haven't received a reply in that other spot. So the images I was talking about are in that other spot, not this one.
ok then you need to link people to that spot so we can go to it. we can't rate what we don't see.
Oh, I'm doing it as an experiment. I want to see if anyone with tell me why they don't rate. If I don't get any response soon, then I will link/post it in the "What To Rate" forum, but I just want to conduct my experiment first.
lol ok, I get it.
I finally got a response in the forum:

"People are shy."

?!
over a year ago amazondebs said…
people are shy? you don't who it is that has rated it!!!!

personally i have always rated since i joined because although i did not relise the significance to medals and such i often view content on other sites by what is highest rated in order to find the better stuff

I think the rating issue is the same everwhere, you go on youtube and there are far more views than rates normally but it seem like the rating is high because of the amount of users

i guess all we can do it keep ranting and hope it sticks with as many users as possible
Yeah you're right amazondebs. It just that it is so annoying to see something has been view 200 times and only rated once! Grrrrrrr!

So yes. Lets keep ranting!